During your lifetime, circumstances may sometimes lead to loosing one or more teeth, and this can result in the desire to replace the missing teeth with dental implants or bridges.A full mouth reconstruction addresses the issues of the health, functionality, and the look of the gums and teeth as well as replacing missing teeth. A full mouth restoration is an intensive cosmetic dental procedure that is custom-designed to help dramatically improve your smile.
There are two types of full mouth reconstructions
- When all teeth have been removed, dental implants are placed and form the basis for reconstruction which may be either fixed bridges or implant supported overdentures.
- If a few teeth are missing and implants are not a viable option, reconstruction can be done with bridges and crowns to achieve a natural looking cosmetic smile makeover
The solution for this is a combination of cosmetic and dental procedures is known as full mouth reconstruction. It is a procedure to rectify the relationship between bone, gums, teeth and muscles. It is performed either on some or all of the patient's teeth, depending on the severity of the complications and the desired outcome of reconstruction.
- Teeth: The condition of your teeth will determine which restorative procedures may be needed, such as porcelain veneers or crowns, inlays or onlays, bridges or implants restored with a crown.
- Periodontal (gum) tissues: If your gums are not healthy, you may require more intensive treatments from a periodontist to ensure that your newly reconstructed teeth will have a solid foundation.
- Gnatology: Temporomandibular joints, jaw muscles and occlusion: A stable bite – one in which you are not in pain when you close your mouth or chew and one that does not cause wear or destruction of your teeth – is important to your overall oral health. Occlusal changes need to be taken into consideration when your dentist plans your restorations. In fact, you may require night guard to correct occlusion before additional restorative procedures can be performed.
- Aesthetics: The color, shape, size and proportion of your teeth, and how they appear in relation to your gums, lips, mouth, side profile and face, are also important factors in full mouth reconstruction treatment.